Friday 20 March 2015

Faith is reasoning with God’s Word

Faith is reasoning with the word of God. By this I do not mean reasoning with God’s word with a view of finding basis for argument or support a thought line not in accordance to the principle of faith. It is reasoning with God’s word to draw a conclusion and a basis for taking action. Abraham is the father of faith, he became such by his obedience in sacrificing his son Isaac to the Lord. In the book of genesis we saw how Abraham sacrificed his son Isaac but in the book of Hebrew we understand why he did that. Faith motivated Abraham to sacrifice his son. It was by faith that Abraham offered Isaac as a sacrifice when God was testing him Hebrew 11:7a NLT Abraham offered Isaac even though God had told him “Isaac is the son through whom your descendant will be counted” Hebrew 11:18 NLT In verse 19 of Hebrew chapter 11, we see how it was possible for Abraham to sacrifice Isaac the son through whom his descendant would be counted. Abraham reasoned that if Isaac died, God was able to bring him back to life again. And in a sense Abraham did receive his son back from the dead Hebrew 11:19 Abraham reasoned that the God who said that his descendant will be uncountable would not have his son through whom the word will be fulfilled killed. He so much trusted God and believed that he was safe doing whatever God asked him to do including killing his son. Abraham never lost focus of having uncountable descendants; he looked up to that and reasoned that if Isaac dies that God will raise him up. When we reason God’s word, we reason ourselves out of issues of life, our prayer concerns reduces; joy and peace comes. I had a personal experience; I was privileged of God to be nominated for an international training by the organization I work for. I had earlier prayed for the trip but when we boarded the air plane, fear suddenly took hold of me. I have been flying on air plane but I have not flown for the number of hours our plane was going to be air bound, so the thought of the long hours got me afraid. Just immediately the word of God from Proverb 10:22 –“The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it” ringed in my heart and I began to reason on this word. I reasoned that the training is a blessing as I did not talk to anyone to nominate me for the training in fact the slot given to me was my boss’ slot, he on his own asked that the slot be given to me. So I understand the training to be a blessing and that God cannot allow it bring sorrow to me, as I continue to meditate on this word the fear left me. Reasoning with that word of God built up faith in me and fear cannot stand faith, so once faith appears fear gave way.

No comments:

Post a Comment